The Garden Gurus with Neville Passmore - AquaponicsTue, 27 Oct 2020
Would you like know more about Aquaponics?
In this video Neville talks about the magic of natures circle and benefits of an aquaponics system. Growing your own edible fish and vegetable in the one system. No extra nutrients required. Your fish will produce all the nutrients your plants require. You feed the fish and the fish feed the plants... and then, you eat ALL the produce - fish and vegetables - PERFECT!
Check out some of our Aquaponic Kits to help you get started
Aquaponics Family Kit with Corrugated Tray
The 1100 litre tank can grow 20 fish to maturity and the deep 250mm grow bed can grow enough vegetables to feed a family.
Aquaponics Family Kit
The 1000 litre tank can grow 20 fish to maturity and the deep 220mm grow bed can grow enough vegetables to feed a family.
Aquaponics Small Kit
Smaller than the Aquaponics Family Kit but perfect for a couple or smaller family.
Story: Growing Fish in Aquaponics
Presenter: Neville Passmore
Air Date: 17th October 2020
Aquaponics gives you the thrill of catching fish in your own backyard, all while growing your own fresh and delicious produce.
The idea behind aquaponics is that you feed the fish, their manure feeds the edible crops and these, in turn, remove the nutrients from the water so it’s clean enough for the fish to thrive.
- Barramundi are frequently used in aquaponics. They grow rapidly, from fingerlings to plate size in one summer.
- The pond water is pumped into grow beds that use expanded clay as a medium. In these grow beds, you can plant all sorts of fruit, vegetables and herbs.
- Liaflor expanded clay is perfect for aquaponics. It’s a long-life growing medium that can last for more than thirty years.
- Setting up your own system at home is easy. There is a range of ready to go kits available in a selection of different sizes.
- If your pond water starts to go green, you need more vegetable plants to take up excess nutrients.
- If your plants are looking yellow, you need more fish. Aerating the water can increase your fish numbers threefold.